Open Positions Barrett Paving Materials Inc. Watertown
Asphalt Plant Operator, Loader Operator, Groundman and QC Tech
See www.barrettindustriescorp.com for application and additional details
Asphalt Plant/Limestone Quarry Groundman - Watertown Location
The selected candidate will be required to work in a team environment with other co-workers and managers.
- Ensure a safe work environment in compliance with all safety policies and procedures using the appropriate tools and equipment for the task.
Properly follow all company policies and OSHA/MSHA regulations for safe working procedures and environment.
- Follow directions of manager as to daily tasks and expectations for each specific project.
Maintain grounds (grass weeds, fences, gate areas and rails/rail ties).
- Operate and maintain various vehicles, machinery and other equipment used at the site to keep areas clean and safe.
Lift, carry and hold materials, tools and supplies.
- Responsible for upkeep of tools and work area.
Perform other duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate will:
- Pass pre-employment drug screen and criminal background check.
Pass a pre-employment “Fit for Work” physical.
- Be able to provide valid documentation for the I-9 Immigration document.
Display a professional and courteous attitude to co-workers, supervisors and the general public at all times.
- Report to work at the designated start time.
Be willing to work nights and weekends when necessary.
- Be able to work overtime.
Be willing to work outdoors in extreme temperatures, both hot and cold.
- Strictly adhere to safety requirements and procedures as outlined in the Employee Handbook.
Must have valid driver’s license and meet the qualifications of the fleet safety program.
- Have the willingness to work in a team environment and assist co–workers or supervisors with other duties as required.
Wear personal protective equipment (PPE) in designated operations and production areas as stated by OSHA and / or MSHA.
- Be at least age 18 years of age due to nature of working environment.
- Minimum high school diploma or general education degree (GED) required.
Previous related experience in asphalt manufacturing, concrete manufacturing or the construction field is preferred.
Asphalt Plant Operator
This position operates the plant computer and controls to maintain the plant production schedule.
Description of Duties:
1. Ensure a safe work environment in compliance with all federal, local, state and company safety policies and procedures using the appropriate tools and equipment for the task
2. Operate the plant controls to weigh and deliver specified quantities of aggregates and liquid to dryer for heating, to the mixer and then to the silo for dumping into trucks
3. Maintain proper heat in dryer by adjusting thermostatic controls
4. Maintain proper flow of materials
5. Assists with the compiling of reports regarding plant production and maintenance
6. Assist in plant and equipment maintenance
7. Ability to solve problems that may arise concerning a mix design with the Quality Control personnel
8. Assist plant foreman as necessary
9. Awareness of location of trucks on scales before releasing materials
10. Receive and input orders
11. Willingness to work nights and weekends
12. Perform all other duties deemed necessary or assigned
13. Perform as Lead person in the superintendents absence
High School or 2 Year College degree
Two years of experience preferred
QA/QC Technician for Watertown and Boonville, NY
The QA/QC Technician is responsible for the testing of hot mix asphalt and aggregates to ensure adherence to federal, state, and/or customer specifications. This position works closely with asphalt plant personnel, construction foreman and governmental agencies. This is an entry level position working directly for the QC QA Manager.
- Perform sampling and various lab tests on hot mix asphalt; such as volumetric measurements and asphalt content
- Perform sampling and testing of stock aggregates; including gradation, gravity absorption and crush counts
- Complete governmental and customer reports on test results
- Communicate results of testing to asphalt plant, construction personnel, governmental agencies and customers as needed
- Investigate customer complaints regarding discrepancies between test results and asphalt received
- Other duties as assigned
Knowledge and Skills
- Knowledge of hot mix asphalt quality control data
- Experience with various hot mix asphalt and aggregate lab equipment; such as gyratory, sieves, TMD apparatus and ignition furnace
- Familiarity with paving process
- Ability to work with large volumes of numerical data
- Strong attention to detail
- Proficient with Microsoft Office applications
Experience and Education
- High school diploma or equivalent