Immediate opening for an enthusiastic, service minded individual
About the Opportunity
Urban Systems has an immediate opening for an enthusiastic, serviced minded individual to join the Accounting team as a full-time Intermediate Accountant. Urban Systems was founded in Kamloops in 1975. Over the past 44 years, strong financial stewardship has allowed us to retain and exercise our organizational values and carry out our business activities under terms that we define. Since that time, Kamloops has served as home to the twelve-person accounting group that serves the financial, accounting and payroll needs of our company.
As our company continues to grow, we are looking to add an additional accounting professional who is interested in building their career with us and has a desire to contribute to the financial stewardship of our company. In this role, you will work closely with the Accounting Leadership team, existing accounting team, Company Leaders, and external advisors to help ensure the smooth and efficient delivery of our accounting services.
In this role, you can expect to contribute to the following areas:
- Working collaboratively to deliver on a variety of accounting functions such as accounts payable/receivables, billings, general ledger, financial statements, internal and external reporting, risk management, tax and compliance.
- Prepare inter-company transactions and reconciliations.
- Assist/lead month-end closing and reporting for fived related entities.
- Prepare GST and PST returns and ensuring compliance with legislation.
- Prepare/review bank reconciliations.
- Collaboratively prepare year end working papers and financial statements for five related entities.
- Assisting with the development of existing team members as they support the needs of the branches through a strong focus on internal customer service. This will include assisting with training new staff and providing technical guidance.
- Developing and administering approved accounting practices in response to changing professional standards.
- Maintaining company accounting records and systems and participation in development and implementation of information systems.
- Provide financial data, support and analysis for ad-hoc requests and projects.
- Identify opportunities for improved processes and procedures.
- Travel to our branches as required.
As a dynamic organization, we are always on the lookout for people who have a passion for their work, are service-oriented, and are committed to continuously getting better at what they do. The ideal candidate will have the following skills, strengths and abilities:
- An accounting degree or post-baccalaureate diploma, or acceptance into the CPA PEP program
- 1-3 years experience in an accounting or finance environment
- Experience with Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Excellent communicator and listener – can clearly articulate thoughts and ideas both verbally and written
- Service oriented and committed to the success of their colleagues
- Curious and enthusiastic with a demonstrated passion for learning
- Ability to build and maintain trusted working relationships
- Proactive, initiative taking, and focused on continuous improvement
- Energetic and dynamic; can thrive in a fast-paced environment and handle multiple deadlines
- Committed to ongoing personal and professional development
- Ability to produce high quality work under demanding circumstances
- Flexible, innovative and able to solve problems creatively
Recognized as one of Canada’s top employers, Urban Systems is an employee-owned inter-disciplinary consulting firm based in Western Canada. In business since 1975, we have over four decades of experience working with a variety of clients including all levels of government, First Nations, commercial and residential land developers, and the natural resource sector. Our team of over 450 people, across fifteen offices and four provinces, is committed to helping build vibrant communities of all sizes.
Our Commitment to You
At Urban Systems we make significant investments in our people, which is why we take great care to hire those who we believe will thrive in Urban Systems over the long term. We’ve become recognized as a workplace of choice by nurturing a unique corporate culture that sets us apart and provides:
- Challenging and interesting project opportunities;
- A fun workplace, where hard work accomplishes great things;
- The opportunity to work with industry leading professionals in a collaborative environment;
- Ongoing career development and learning; and
- Meaningful rewards and recognition.
How to Apply
If this describes your background, your skills and your natural talents, please check out our website for more information and submit your resume and covering letter along with a completed Candidate Questionnaire (available for download on our site).
Deadline for applications: Monday, May 20th