Share with friends:
Principal Engineer IIPrincipal Engineer II - Network Software Automation
*Posting Job Description :
Charter Communications is America’s fastest growing TV, internet and voice company. We’re committed to integrating the highest quality service with superior entertainment and communications products. Charter is at the intersection of technology and entertainment, facilitating essential communications that connect 24 million residential and business customers in 41 states. Our commitment to serving customers and exceeding their expectations is the bedrock of Charter’s business strategy and it’s the philosophy that guides our 90,000 employees.
The Advanced Engineering department resides in the Charter Technical Engineering Center (CTEC) facilities in Englewood, CO and oversees the design and architecture of Charter’s multi-billion dollar network infrastructure. We investigate, select, develop, and integrate technologies and solutions that meet the needs of the company for short, medium and long term initiatives. This includes the delivery of the technology plan and future architecture for Voice, Video, Data, Optical, Commercial, Cloud, CPE, Network and Access.
The Network as a Service (NaaS) team is part of Charter’s Advanced Engineering organization, and is tasked with building complex, full-stack, carrier-grade software solutions to manage and control Charter’s nationwide network. We leverage the modern cloud-native technology platforms to build innovative solutions in the Software Defined Networking (SDN), Network Function Virtualization (NFV) and Network Orchestration space. Solutions being developed by the NaaS team are critical to supporting major business initiatives within Charter, and are key to operating the vast and complex Charter network. This is a senior software engineering position reporting to the Senior Manager of NaaS Development Engineering.
The major responsibilities include:
• Architecting, designing and developing software to meet the product functional, performance and business requirements
•. Extensive experience in web services architectures, and design using common opensource components.
• Operationalizing the solution and supporting its lifecycle in production using a DEVOPS approach
• Provide technical leadership within the area of expertise and mentor junior engineers
• Research new technologies and adopt suitable technologies to solve the problem at hand
Required Qualifications and Skills
• Must be able to architect, design and implement software solutions to meet the business requirements provided by the Product Owner.
• Must be able to research and evaluate commercial and open-source software components, and incorporate those in the overall solutions
• Must have strong algorithm and data structure implementation experience
• Mastery of Python and Java programming language or other automation scripting languages is required
• Must have experience with one or more databases (Postgres, REDIS, MongoDB) employed by the frameworks being developed in-house
• Must have experience with Cloud and web services architectures and technologies, and be able to create scalable, automated and fault-tolerant solutions.
• Ability to thrive in an agile, fast-paced environment while delivering high quality mission-critical software
• Passionate about the technology and the craft of software engineering
Desirable Qualifications and Skills
• Have a good grasp of the SDN concepts and active participation in the design and development of proprietary and/or open-source SDN controllers is highly desirable.
• Experience with large-scale data communication network architecture
• Have a good understanding of SCM/CI/DEVOPS best practices and the tools used to implement those (Git, Jenkins, Jira, Ansible/Chef/Puppet).
• Experience or knowledge of Stackstorm and/or ODL (OpenDayLight).
• Experience or knowledge of common networking protocols (e.g. BGP, ISIS, OSPF, PCEP).
• Experience or knowledge of GrahpQL is highly desirable.
• Experience working on highly distributed systems and distributed messaging systems like AMQP, RabbitMQ, Kafka.
• Experience with containerization using Docker, and container orchestration systems like Kubernetes
Master’s or Bachelor's Degree in Engineering or related field or related work experience
Related Work Experience Number Of Years
Engineering work experience 10+
Some travel required