- Full Time
- Kingston, ON K7K 2L5
Gordon Barr Ltd. is currently recruiting for a full time Estimator/Project Manager for a construction company that specializes in Civil, underground works.
Here at Gordon Barr Ltd., we are currently in our 68th year of operation servicing our many new and returning clients in the entire Southeastern Ontario region with heavy civil, site servicing / site development and infrastructure solutions. Please visit our website at www.gordonbarr.ca for more company information.
As an Estimator/Project Manager, working in partnership with our existing team and under the general direction of the owners the successful candidate will be responsible for the accurate project estimation & tendering for a variety of municipal and industrial / commercial / institutional projects, reviewing drawings, understanding design intent, identifying challenging items, performing electronic quantity take-offs / earthworks take-off’s / digital terrain modelling, and providing a wholistic project management approach including subtrade and supplier management, project scheduling, cost analysis and preparing monthly progress quantities for client invoicing.
To represent our company in a professional manner, the ideal candidate is proactive, detail orientated, organized and has excellent communication, negotiation and resolution skills both written and oral. Previous experience in the construction sector is critical, with preference given to those with heavy civil / underground experience.
Other Job Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Recruiting new work by reviewing various industry publications, electronic plans rooms, etc.
• Reviewing plans & specifications to determine the scope of work and to define project
• Outlining and proactively communicating project requirements and timelines
• Soliciting quotations and tendering contracts from consultants, sub-trades & suppliers
• Finalizing contracts that meet client requirements
• Preparing quantity take-offs for all labour, equipment, materials and subcontractors
• Communicating project progress with clients and addressing any concerns
• Working in collaboration with the Field manager and site foreman to ensure project deadlines,
quality of workmanship and overall project financial goals are met
• Issuing purchase orders / subcontracts & prepares construction schedules
• Requesting and maintaining utility locates and other permits as required
• Coordinates all sub-trades according to project plan
• Quoting Contemplated Change Notices and Managing Change Orders
• Managing Site Instructions, RFI’s and responses
• Ability to develop training and mentorship to future junior estimators/project managers
Required Experience & Skills:
• 5+ years of experience estimating projects in civil works
• General knowledge of all aspects of commercial & heavy civil construction
• Strong analytical skills and construction detailing practices
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Ability to work effectively with clients and all stakeholders for successful project completion
• Proficiency in all MS Office Applications and AutoCAD
• Comfort and experience working with specialized estimating & project management software
• Experience with digital terrain modelling is preferred
• Working knowledge of current provincial & municipal design standards, OPSD’s etc.
• Experience estimating construction projects with varying budgets and details
• Ability to successfully manage small and large budgets
• Ability to read and understand architectural & consultants plans
• Strong work ethic, highly motivated and enjoys a challenge
• Proactivity, initiative and ability to self-direct and work with little supervision
• Willing and able to learn new skills and concepts quickly
• Confident, positive & outgoing personality
• Able to maintain a professional demeanour in challenging situations
• Enjoys a multi-faceted and dynamic work environment
• Able to prioritize and be flexible, while maintaining efficiency
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package.
To apply for this position, please send your resume to email@example.com