Part-time Adjunct Clinical Instructor (Syracuse, NY)
The School of Nursing is seeking part-time adjunct clinical instructors for our clinical practicum offerings at contracted hospitals in the Syracuse area beginning the Spring 2022 term.
The role of part-time clinical instructor will be able to function and work under three (3) different assignment categories: clinical instructor lead; clinical instructor assistant; and on-call clinical instructor.
Part-time clinical instructors report to the Associate Dean and communicate with the instructional faculty overseeing the course/content area they are teaching. Excelsior University provides fully developed courses with materials and activities to allow the faculty to focus on the students. They should expect to provide prompt response to student needs, offer timely formative feedback on student work, and demonstrate their clinical expertise through selecting, supervising, and evaluating students’ clinical experiences. In addition, Excelsior looks for our adjunct part-time nursing clinical faculty to demonstrate a commitment to student success by supporting university engagement and retention initiatives, reaching out to struggling students and collaborating with instructional faculty and support staff to ensure students have access to all available resources that impact success.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Successful completion of University-sponsored training program
- Fulfillment of all requirements and adherence to all university policies identified in the Excelsior University Faculty Handbook.
- Ability to work 2 non-consecutive weekends at the clinical site during an 8-week course term. The weekend consists of Friday evening 3 hours (5-8 pm) and 12-hour days (6:15 am-6:30 pm Saturday and Sunday).
- Plan and coordinate patient assignments for each student in the clinical group, consistent with the course and clinical objectives.
- Demonstrate competency with nursing skills and associated technology (EHR, automated medication dispensing system, smart intravenous pumps, etc.)
- Demonstrate familiarity with assigned clinical unit(s), facility policies and procedures; complete all facility required training.
- Participate in pre-clinical briefs and post-clinical debriefs with students within Canvas LMS
- Exhibit content and skill-based expertise when engaging with students; provide
relevant evidence based professional examples pertinent to the topic
- Provide students with individualized feedback summarizing strengths and areas in need of improvement. Substantiate feedback with examples from student work.
- Complete individual clinical evaluation rubric in Canvas for each student by the end of the term
- A master’s degree in nursing from a regionally accredited institution
- Active, unencumbered New York RN license.
- Minimum of 5 years of RN experience in varied clinical areas, caring for patients across the lifespan.
- Current clinical experience within an acute care hospital setting.
- Experience supervising nursing students and/or new graduate RNs.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, with ability to present information clearly, concisely, and accurately; friendly, persuasive speaking and writing style.
- Experience in the implementation of curriculum in pre-licensure nursing degree programs.
- Experience with various modes of educational technology, including video conferencing software.
- Current CPR certification.