Position Summary: This is a working position responsible for providing daily direction to vegetation contractors and acting as a liaison between contractors and LCEC personnel. The person will be responsible for evaluating and patrolling overhead electric power lines for vegetation in contact with prescribed clearance requirements. Additional responsibilities include responding to customer requests and escalations for tree trimming, inspecting and approving vegetation management work performed by contractors.
- Inspection of utility rights of way for compliance with State required clearance standards
- Identify needed tree and brush control work and provide information needed by line clearance crew to complete this work
- Inspection of clearance work performed, and completed – reviewing quality & quantity of production
- Responsible for maintenance and accuracy of production records
- Ensure compliance with applicable codes and standards
- Notify property owners of pending tree work on their property.
- Acts as first point of customer request and escalation. Respond to internal and external customer requests
- Discuss and negotiate line clearance crew access issues
- Assign work to others and provide work direction. Mentor and train personnel, as needed.
- Direct contract personnel and LCEC line clearance personnel within assigned area
- Complete all work in conformance with LCEC’s Accident Prevention rule manual. Enforces safety practices or ensures adherence to safety practices.
- Ensure department compliance with LCEC vehicle policy
- In case of major events this position may be required to perform temporary assignments in other areas including construction/maintenance.
- This position is required to respond to and assist with emergency restoration work needs
- Special projects/duties as assigned
- Respond reliably and timely to calls during regular work hours and off regular work hours
- Maintain effective working relationships with employees/customers at all levels within LCEC. Ensure smooth operations, productive communications, and effective understanding during all interpersonal contacts. Provide current and accurate information to all requesters, courteously and in a timely manner.
- High School diploma or equivalent
- Associate’s Degree in Forestry, or related discipline or equivalent experience (5 years’ experience in utility vegetation management)
- ISA Certified Arborist (must obtain within six months of employment)
- Familiarity with all local and state tree trimming requirements
- Ability to identify local tree species and knowledge of growth rates
- Ability to read and follow maps
- Ability to work independently and safely
- Proficient in MS Excel
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both verbal and written
- Must possess and maintain a valid Florida driver’s license (within 30 days of becoming a Florida resident)
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Forestry
- Valid Florida commercial driver’s license (CDL – Class B)
- Previous experience to driving and operating a 4x4 utility vehicle and a bucket truck
- Project/Work Group Coordination and/or Supervision
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions:
- Physical Demands: Must be able to drive, sit for long periods of time, walk through local field conditions, and lift weights up to 50 lbs.
- Work Environment: Office environment and field work. Field work conditions: extreme heat, thunderstorm and occasional cool weather. Ability to work and hike in rugged terrain and inclement weather.
Please note that at the time a candidate is made a job offer, the candidate will be subject to a background check and a drug screening.