- Full Time
- 515 Legget Drive, Kanata, ON K2K 3G4
Are you ready to make a real difference?
Senior Mechanical Engineer
As world population increases and developing economies grow, solid waste is becoming an ever more urgent problem. Legacy energy-from-waste solutions are not environmentally pristine, cost a great deal, and aren’t liked by the public. Many newer technologies have not offered a solution that is clean, reliable, and attractive to investors.
To fill this gap, Plasco spent more than a decade, over $400M USD and more than 1.2 million man-hours in development and demonstration of its patented Gasification and Plasma Refining System (GPRS). Under new management, the company has refined its business model and relationships over the past two years. It is now delivering GPRS plants worldwide.
Plasco sells the GPRS equipment and its expertise to end users through global EPC firms, who are responsible for integrating that equipment in turnkey projects. Plasco has allied with Linamar Corporation, one of Canada’s largest manufacturing firms, to supply the GPRS equipment. After months of due diligence, one of the world’s largest EPCs has joined Plasco in project delivery, and a major underwriter has agreed to provide technology insurance.
Plasco’s GPRS converts solid waste into a synthetic fuel gas suitable for powering IC engines and co-fueling gas turbines. Diversion from landfill is over 96 vol.%, with no fly ash. Co-products are a nonleachable slag and clean water. Efficiency is high. Emissions are the lowest of all thermal processes. The GPRS can process unsorted mixed wastes, refuse derived fuels, and many types of hazardous waste.
Plasco’s product and project engineering is done by its internal core group, supported by our external partners. Due to the strong international market response, Plasco is seeking to augment its internal engineering group. We are looking for people who have integrity, purpose, talent, and who are willing to work collaboratively to get things done. We foster the development of top talent in a dynamic work environment while empowering employees to make a significant contribution to our communities.
We are looking for a Senior Mechanical Engineer to join our team in Ottawa. Reporting to our EVP of Engineering and Operations, the ideal candidate has six or more years of experience designing, installing, and supporting plants or unit operations in energy-from-waste, chemical, oil & gas or power generation industries, with a strong emphasis on machine design. He or she is a team player with strong communication skills and a degree in mechanical engineering.
- Lead the mechanical design function within multi-disciplinary project teams that are building Plasco GPRS-based plants. This includes design of hot and refractory lined process vessels, machine design, specification of oxy-fuel burner systems, plasma heating systems, piping design, and specification of pumps, blowers, compressors, heat exchangers, and similar process vessels.
- Provide technical support to the sale and marketing team
- Create specifications, requests for quotes and scopes of work for process equipment
- Create integration and start-up test plans
- Write technical reports, maintenance and operating procedures
- Participate in the start-up, testing, and commissioning of Plasco GPRS-based plants
- Support client operations with technical expertise
- Analyze production data to recommend product and process improvements, and participate in product improvement and development projects.
- Mentor more junior engineers.
- Mechanical Engineering degree required.
- 6 + years of progressively more responsible roles designing, installing, and supporting plants or unit operations in chemical, oil & gas or power generation industries
- Experience with requirements analysis, and development of specifications and statements of work
- Experience with vendor selection and qualification
- Experience commissioning systems at client sites
- Demonstrated success working in multi-disciplinary technical teams on cutting-edge technology. Must be able to lead all aspects of the mechanical design function within a project and manage the on-time completion of all deliverables
- Fluent in written and spoken English; proficiency in French, Spanish, or Mandarin is an asset.
- Member of PEO or eligible to become member
- Competent user of AutoCAD, SolidWorks.
- Familiarity with ANSYS FEA is an asset, as is experience in plant operations and/or equipment manufacturing.