Share with friends:
Principal Engineer III – StandardsJOB TITLE: Principal Engineer III - Standards
- Responsible primarily for the creation, and execution of Charter’s strategy wrt 3GPP RAN domain (E-UTRAN, NG-RAN) both within the company, and in affected global standards fora such as 3GPP, CBRS-A, ITU-R, IEEE, WBA, WFA etc. Experience in driving CRs/SIDs/WIDs in 3GPP RAN WG2 is required. Experience in other 3GPP RAN WGs (e.g WG1, WG3), or other fora such as IEEE 802.11 groups, or WBA/WFA is preferred.
- Expert knowledge of E-UTRAN and NG-RAN architectures is required.
- Current or prior experience with radio network planning of 3G/4G/5G RAN is desirable.
- Provide necessary standards-related support to ongoing trials for 4G (e.g. DOCSIS overlay, Fixed Wireless Access) or 5G (e.g. mmWave characterization)( mmWave etc).
- Assess new product requirements, develop technology and architecture solutions and evaluate performance in support of those requirements.
- Produces Technical Bulletins and other relevant technical documentation for internal organization such as Wireless Engineering, Advanced Engineering, and Product providing recommendations for responsible topics.
- Refines a long-term technology evolution roadmap (3-5 years) articulating strategic decision points, technology evolution plan and recommendations with regard to technology and network infrastructure investments.
- Supports Charters’ mobile strategy with technology expertise to assess the feasibility of new business opportunities such as smart home technologies, assessment of 5G’s potential to impact the wired high-speed data business, and next-generation wireless video compression technologies on Charter’s video distribution business.
- Contributes to intellectual property creation, patent filing and promotion of such IP through the contribution to relevant standards and industry forums.
Skills/Abilities and Knowledge
- Required Technical Skills:
- Minimum 10-yrs of experience in major global standards fora. Specifically in 3GPP RAN WG2 (required, or 3GPP RAN WG3 (desirable) or IEEE 802.1ac/ad/ax/ay (desirable), in the last 3-5 years, with a proven track record. Past or present rappoteurship of specification(s), and/or chairmanship of a 3GPP WG or IEEE taks group is desirable.
- Intimate familiarity with E-UTRAN and (currently in development) NG-RAN MAC/RLC/RRC/PDCP/SDAP is mandatory.
- Deep know-how of EPC/NGC is desirable.
- Strong background in lower-layer 3GPP RAN control and user protocols and/or IEEE 802.11 PHY/MAC is required.
- Multiple (more than 10) patents, and/or publication in reputed journals (eg IEEE ComSoc)
- Ability to navigate complex research areas such as (c)(v)-RAN, Edge Computing, mIoT, V2X, NFV etc is essential to this role.
- Desirable Technical skills:
- Extensive knowledge of wireless communication theory, linear and non-linear systems, spectral efficiency, DSP algorithms, link-level / system-level simulations.
- Proficient in RF propagation modeling, interference, and link budget analysis.
- Required Soft-skills:
- Ability to lead complex projects working with a matrix team of senior domain experts across different organizations is required.
- Strong technology expertise, proven leadership skills, excellent written and oral communication skills, superb technical skills, and a strong customer-service orientation.
- Ability to communicate with all levels of management.
- Ability to manage and deliver against several initiatives simultaneously.
- Ability to prioritize and organize effectively.
- Ability to make decisions and solve problems while working under pressure.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and electronically.