- Part Time
- October 16, 2019
- 82 West Main Street, Mendham, NJ 07945
Part-time - 25 hours a week
Retreat House Manager
The Community of St. John Baptist is a religious community of vowed nuns in the Episcopal Church based in Mendham, NJ (www.csjb.org.) The heart of our ministry of hospitality is St. Marguerite’s Retreat House, which is located on the beautiful grounds of the Community of St. John Baptist right across the lawn from our Convent. We welcome retreat groups from all faiths and walks of life, and we are radically inclusive of all God’s children. We have 27 guest rooms and we serve home-cooked meals to all groups.
We are looking for a part-time Retreat House Manager (25 hours per week) who will handle the day-to-day operations of our retreat ministry and help it to grow. Groups are present at the Retreat House on most weekends, with occasional groups staying for 1 week or for 2-3 weekdays. The Retreat House Manager will be required to work without close supervision, ensuring all inquiries and bookings are handled professionally and efficiently.
Job includes salary + a newly renovated 1-bedroom basement apartment suitable for an individual or couple (utilities included) + 3-weeks’ annual vacation in the beginning of July, 2 personal days and 5 days sick leave as per the New Jersey Sick Leave Policy.
Answers to: Superior, Community of St. John Baptist
To apply: Forward your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 973-543-4641 ext. 0.
- Provide a high level of customer service for every person who visits St. Marguerite’s Retreat House.
- Handle all reservations for groups at the Retreat House and Convent.
- Be physically present at the Retreat House whenever groups are present in order to provide assistance to staff and ensure the retreats are running smoothly.
- When groups are not present, inspect the premises and ensure that all rooms are clean and in good repair.
- Arrange guest contracts and invoices for all Retreat House groups
- Collect deposits and payments in a timely manner
- Meet regularly with the Superior and Business Manager.
- Meet regularly with Retreat House cook and with housekeeping supervisor.
- Assist Retreat House staff in preparing meals, food shopping, cleaning rooms, and common areas.
- Must be able to cover/work when staff is absent due to vacation, sick day or personal days.
- Communicate regularly with Retreat House staff to provide timely information on group numbers, arrival and departure dates.
- Oversee the daily operation of the Retreat House to ensure that staff is meeting standards of excellence regarding food service, food safety, and household cleanliness. Inform staff of any improvements needed and assist them in finding solutions for any needed improvements.
- Assist the Superior in finding additional cleaning staff when needed. The Superior is responsible for hiring staff, but the Retreat House Manager can recruit, interview and recommend staff to the Superior.
- Understanding and support of the Community of St. John Baptist’s ministry of hospitality.
- 2+ year experience in the foodservice industry
- Ability to perform the physical requirements of the role related to cleaning, transporting luggage, climbing stairs, preparing rooms, and cooking.
- HACCP Food Safety certificate or willingness and ability to receive training and Food Safety certification.
- Your own vehicle, drivers’ license and clean driving record.
- You must be legally eligible to be employed in the United States.
- Excellent organizational, communication, and people skills.
- Bilingual in English/Spanish
- Hospitality industry experience
- Microsoft Office
- Non-profit, volunteer or ministry experience
The Community of St. John Baptist provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.