Health, Environment and Safety Manager
SITUATION IN ORGANIZATION
The Health, Environment and Safety Manager reports to the Plant Manager. Direct reports include the Training Coordinator. Partners with Corporate Health and Safety and Environmental and Sustainability Departments to support plant and Group initiatives and requirements.
The purpose of this position is to provide leadership, direction, education and management of the Louisville site’s Loss Control Programs, including Environmental, Safety and Health, Industrial Hygiene, Title V, Security, AIMS and Hazardous/Solid Waste Management in alignment with Arkema policies and procedures. Serves as HES program champion and provides technical regulatory guidance to the site on HES-related matters. Provides leadership of key site HES initiatives and total oversight of HES regulatory budget and risk management practices. Ensures that programs and management systems are in place to achieve top tier performance in process safety metrics, behavioral based safety methods and in key performance measures. Maintains positive working relationships with Regulatory Agency Personnel and various outside auditors.
KEY ACTIVITIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
60% - Health and Safety:
- Loss control and responsible care management review, leadership, approval and delegation as prescribed by the Plant Manager.
- Develops and improves health and safety policies.
- Drives case management for injuries/worker’s compensation cases.
- Leads/Participates in management of change.
- Serves as primary contact for PSM.
- Leads strategic safety goal setting for the plant.
- Ensures compliance to all regulatory requirements, including areas of employment, environmental and safety.
- Leads/Participates in incident investigations.
- Acts as Site loss control and risk reduction coordinator.
- Implements, supports and sustains site management system activities.
- Manages ISO 45001 program for site.
- Manages action-tracking database. Coordinates, monitors, audits and evaluates the effectiveness. Recommends and assign appropriate corrective actions.
- Manages industrial hygiene compliance.
- Develops and provides health and safety training and promotes safe work practices and equipment.
- Provides regulatory interpretations and guidance to plant on health and safety matters.
- Maintains regulatory certificates and registrations.
- Manages and improves site contractor safety management program. Revises or amends system as needed to be compliant with federal, state and local guidelines.
25% - Environmental:
- Conducts environmental inspections/audits.
- Acts as management representative to ensure compliance to Environmental Policy, including coordination of corrective and preventive actions.
- Complies with the applicable laws, regulations, and voluntary commitments, and implement programs, procedures and training to ensure compliance.
- Prepares and manages submission of environmental reports to governing agencies and Arkema Corporate.
- Develops and improves environmental policies.
- Leads communication of environmental progress and improvement needs to the plant.
- Serves as contact for environmental regulatory agencies and environmental service providers.
- Leads strategic environmental goal setting for the plant.
- Serves as Regional Environment Regulations Advocate for the Company.
- Provides regulatory interpretations and guidance to plant on environmental matters.
15% - Emergency Response:
- Serves as rotating on-call manager at site.
- Acts as plant leader in emergency response incidents.
- Manages creation and dissemination of hazard communications such as LENS Alert, Regroup, Rubbertown Mutual Aid, etc.
- Supervises and coordinates training for plant emergency response.
- Develops and improves emergency procedures and response guidelines.
- Maintains plant detection and protection devices and systems.
- Ensures compliance to all regulatory requirements.
- Ensures overall implementation of the site security procedures.
Performs other job-related duties in area of responsibility as assigned.
CONTEXT AND ENVIRONMENT
This position is based at Altuglas Louisville, KY plant.
Extensive interaction and collaboration with other site managers and HES personnel.
Supports employee engagement initiatives and serves as plant representative for community relations.
Supports the site HES policy and complies with all regulatory and internal requirements.
Participates in HES activities provided by site management and Arkema Inc. (e.g., Behavioral Base Safety, SafeStart, etc.).
Supports and promotes the reporting of all health, safety, environmental, near miss, accident or injury incidents.
REQUIRED EDUCATION, QUALIFICATIONS & WORK EXPERIENCE
BS in Chemical Engineering, Environmental Engineering or Chemistry required.
Professional certification preferred (CSP, CHMM, CIH, CPEA).
Minimum 5 years manufacturing industry experience in health, environment and safety.
Emergency response experience is preferred.
Prior supervisory experience is preferred.
Building on its unique set of expertise in materials science, Arkema offers a portfolio of first-class technologies to address ever-growing demand for new and sustainable materials. With the ambition to become in 2024 a pure player in Specialty Materials, the Group is structured into three complementary, resilient and highly innovative segments dedicated to Specialty Materials - Adhesive Solutions, Advanced Materials, and Coating Solutions - accounting for some 80% of Group sales, and a well-positioned and competitive Intermediates segment. Arkema offers cutting-edge technological solutions to meet the challenges of, among other things, new energies, access to water, recycling, urbanization and mobility, and fosters a permanent dialogue with all its stakeholders. The Group reported sales of €8.7 billion ($9.7 billion) in 2019, and operates in 55 countries with 20,500 employees worldwide.
Arkema Inc. provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Arkema Inc. complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence.