Full Time Student Financial Services Specialist Wanted!
STUDENT FINANCIAL SERVICES SPECIALIST
Serve as the initial contact for the Student Financial Services Office providing professional and positive customer service assisting current and prospective students and families with the financial aid process. Develop and maintain a strong working knowledge of federal, state, and College student aid regulations, policies, and procedures and provide a variety of information regarding various financial aid programs, procedures and eligibility requirements. Perform operational activities to include data entry, updating and maintaining student account information, receive and process forms and payments, and post transactions. Prepare reports, letters and other correspondence, and respond to questions regarding student financial services programs.
1. Participate in efforts to attain the Office of Student Financial Services goal to provide outstanding service to students, parents, the campus community and other constituents; convey information related to student financial services clearly and and concisely to groups or individuals verbally and in writing; arrange and/or schedule appointments with appropriate staff within Student Financial Services.
2. Greet and guide both prospective and current students and families through the financial aid process. Assess the student’s individual need, explain aid programs, application procedures and eligibility criteria, and provide appropriate forms. Handle and respond to complex, sensitive, or emotional financial and customer situations. Respond to questions and identify and resolve processing and communication issues regarding billing, financial aid, payment deadlines, tuition rates, loans, forms, and related information; refer unusual concerns to appropriate staff within Student Financial Services.
3. Develop and demonstrate a multicultural awareness and contribute to cultivating an inclusive, diverse and respectful College community. Demonstrate civil and inclusive behavior when interacting with staff, faculty, students and visitors to the College. Promote a flexible, collaborative and inclusive work and living environment and engage in educational opportunities to increase awareness and understanding of diversity and inclusion.
4. Receive and review application and supporting documentation in accordance with established guidelines to ensure complete financial aid documentation in preparation for verification and packaging. Research and resolve issues such as missing paperwork. Enter application information into database, scan documents, and setup and maintain files for financial aid application paperwork and student financial aid awards.
5. Answer multi-line phone and provide a high level of service; receive and respond to e-mail correspondence; utilize the on-line student information system to review information and assist students and/or family members with inquiries providing thoughtful, complete responses. Document all inquiries and responses within the student information system.
6. Open and sort mail; process payments and forms received and distribute all other mail to appropriate staff member for action. Research and assign returned mail to student assistants for proper follow-up.
7. Participate in maintaining an accurate and consistent processing schedule in a high volume environment. Receive and process cash, checks, other currency, wire transfers, and credit card payments to student accounts for payment of tuition and fees, ID Express, payment plans and other accounts receivable; prepare deposit receipts and post to appropriate account; maintain adequate supply of change for daily business transactions; balance cash drawers and reconcile daily transactions.
8. Assist with the collections process and participate in processing student transactions, posting of payments and disbursements, billing and other operational activities during high volume cycles and as assigned.
9. Develop and maintain knowledge of various financial aid program eligibility standards, billing and collection rules and regulations, state and federal regulations, and financial aid services and programs offered through private, state, and federal agencies.
10. Develop and maintain knowledge and ability to navigate through and utilize various systems and computer applications.
11. Develop and maintain knowledge of the services provided by the Offices of Admission, Extended Studies/International Programs, Registrar, Residential Life, Student Employment and other campus offices and direct customers to appropriate campus offices.
12. Meet with employees and graduate students regarding the payroll deduction option for paying student account balance; assist in determining the amount to be deducted and completing the required payroll forms. Using the online student information system, credit the full amount of the deduction to the student account and monitor deduction reconciliations from Payroll to ensure full deductions are paid.
13. Use reporting tools to write reports as necessary; collaborate with the Associate Director for Student Financial Services Information Systems as needed.
Associates degree and a minimum of two years relevant experience or the equivalent combination of education and experience; strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to effectively work and interact respectfully within a diverse and inclusive environment; proficiency in various word processing, spreadsheet and database software applications and ability to learn new systems and applications; strong organizational skills and attention to detail; ability to maintain and monitor various accounts, prioritize projects, handle multiple tasks and meet deadlines are required. Previous experience working with an on-line student information system in a college or university is preferred.
Ithaca College is committed to building a diverse academic community and encourages members of underrepresented groups to apply. Experience that contributes to the diversity of the college is appreciated.
Instructions for submitting your application:
Interested applicants must apply online at http://ithaca.edu/jobs/ and attach a resume, three references, and a cover letter. Questions about online application should be directed to the Office of Human Resources at (607) 274-8000. Screening of applications will begin immediately.
Work authorization (select one):Visa sponsorship is not provided for this positionDepartment description
At Ithaca College, a comprehensive residential campus community of 6,500 students, we strive to be at the forefront of the higher education landscape. We offer a distinct integrative learning experience that makes students ready for the personal, professional, and global challenges of our age.
We seek candidates who embrace integrative learning and want to be a part of this exciting time in Ithaca College history. We encourage creative collaboration and innovation in our faculty and staff, providing support and resources for them to grow in their fields and lead students to their own innovative ideas and achievements.
We welcome different ways of thinking and look for candidates with unique points of view and life experiences. We are inclusive of individuals with a wide range of cultural, personal, and professional backgrounds, talents, and skills. Our campus is a vibrant and rewarding community where diverse minds can learn, succeed, and excel.
When reviewing candidates, we are looking for indicators of a number of core competencies. Prospective candidates must be adaptable, collaborative, inclusive, respectful, responsive, results driven, and sustainable. They must communicate effectively, demonstrate leadership, exhibit professional integrity and ethics, take initiative, value personal and professional development, and show that they will engage in the college.
Nestled in the heart of New York State’s scenic Finger Lakes region, Ithaca College sits atop South Hill overlooking picturesque Cayuga Lake and is just minutes away from the city center. Combining small town warmth and charm with the vibrancy of a college community, the thriving and culturally diverse city of Ithaca has been rated by Kiplinger’s as one of the top 10 places to live in the United States.
To learn more about Ithaca College, visit us at http://ithaca.edu