LIFEGUARD - 5AM START
Maintains safe swimming conditions in the pool, deck, and surrounding areas. Creates a safe and positive atmosphere that welcomes and respects all individuals and promotes safety in accordance with YMCA policies and procedures. Builds positive relationships with members and program participants through effective listening and verbal skills and creatively finds ways to connect them to one another and the Y community.
- Maintains active surveillance of the pool area
- Knows and reviews all emergency procedures and responds to emergency situations immediately in accordance with YMCA policies, procedures, and the “safe-in-six” model; completes related reports as required
- Knows, understands, and consistently applies safety rules, policies, and guidelines for the pool and aquatic area
- Maintains accurate records as required by the YMCA and/or the state health department code
- Performs equipment checks and ensures appropriate equipment is available as needed
- Checks the pool for hazardous conditions when arriving
- Identifies and celebrates the successes of members and program participants
- Attends all staff meetings and in-service training
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Minimum age of 16
- Certifications: Basic life support or professional rescuer CPR/AED, first aid, and emergency oxygen administration
- Current YMCA Lifeguard or equivalent
- Child abuse prevention training within 30 days of hire date
- Ability to maintain certification-level physical and mental readiness
- Must demonstrate lifeguard skills in accordance with YMCA standards
WORK ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Physically perform all skills required of a lifeguard.
- Hear noises and distress signals in the aquatic environment, including in the water and anywhere around the zone of responsibility.
- Remain alert with no lapses of consciousness.
- See and observe all sections of an assigned zone or area of responsibility.