$18.00 per Hour! Full-time Year Round
1st Cook - SIGN ON BONUS!!!
Ever wanted to work in a 150 year-old castle? Mohonk Mountain House is the Hudson Valley’s most iconic resort, and we have a place for you! Our jobs range from career positions with room to advance, to seasonal opportunities that are perfect for entry-level summer work, and everything in between.
The resort features a wide range of work: cooking, serving, reservations, housekeeping, spa attendants and massage, gardening, security, facilities and grounds maintenance, accounting, sales, recreation, and so much more. In addition to a fun and exciting work environment, our associates have access to our trails, golf course and tennis courts, canoes, kayaks, and more.
Mohonk Mountain House has been owned and operated by the Smiley family for five generations. When you join our team, you become part of the Mohonk family.
BASIC FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBLITIES:
Preparation and production of wholesome meals in accordance with company standards and local health regulations.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Prepare and service all food items for a la carte and/or buffet menus serving up to 2500 meals per day according to hotel recipes and standards.
- Follow recipes, instructions from sous chefs, and work as part of larger team unit focusing on quality and consistency.
- Bake, roast, broil, and steam meats, fish, vegetables, and other foods.
- Check and ensure the correctness of the temperature of appliances and food.
- Ensure adherence to quality expectations and standards.
- Ensure proper portion, arrangement, and food garnish.
- Keep refrigerators and storerooms clean and neat. Ensure food and supply items are stored per standards.
- Monitor food quality while preparing food.
- Monitor the quality and quantity of food that is prepared prior to distributing to “front of house” staff for delivery to guest.
- Prepare and cook food according to recipes, quality standards, presentation standards, and food preparation checklist.
- Prepare special dietary meals or substitute items.
- Weigh, measure, and mix ingredients.
- Maneuver carts or dollies safely with loads up to 200 pounds up and down stairs, elevators, through passageways or outdoors up to 75 feet.
- Inspect work by touch, sight, sound and smell for conformance to prescribed standards.
- Lift such items as boxes as heavy as 50 pounds.
- Operate equipment such as ovens, stoves, grills, microwaves, steamers, kettles, and fryers.
- Reach overhead and below the knees, including bending, twisting, pulling, and stooping.
- Regulate temperature of ovens, broilers, grills, and roasters.
- Stand for up to five hours at a time. Walk distances up to five miles.
- Speak, read and write the English language and communicate in a clear and congenial manner, with our guests, visitors and employees. Hear verbal instructions, directions and warnings.
- Test and inspect foods to determine if they have been cooked sufficiently.
- Set-up and break down work station.
- Maintain proper rotation of product in all refrigerators (FIFO) to minimize wastage/spoilage.
- Wash and disinfect kitchen area, tables, tools, knives, and equipment.
- Sanitize and ensure cleanliness and maintenance of all work areas, utensils, and equipment.
- Work clean and be responsible for kitchen organization and orderliness.
- Perform job safely while maintaining a clean, safe work environment.
- Handle hot items with care.
- Check the working condition of equipment and machinery in accordance with specifications.
- Follow all Mohonk Mountain House safety and security policies and procedures.
- Identify safety hazards, report, and follow up to see that corrective action is taken.
- Inform supervisor of hazardous situations, emergencies or threats to the security of guests, employees or hotel assets.
- Maintain food storage and cooler logs in adherence to food safety standards.
- Complete safety training and certifications when offered.
- Adhere strictly to directives and instructions from Sous Chef, Executive Sous, Executive Chef.
- Work under time constraints, extreme temperatures, and high business levels.
- Assist in production planning, record keeping and reporting as required.
- Assist in the requisitioning and receiving of all food and supplies as required.
- Perform basic mathematical functions such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.
- Research industry trends regularly and maintain a current knowledge of common or trending practices in the industry.
- Work productively and efficiently with or without supervision when performing routine tasks.
- Learn, retain, and demonstrate a full knowledge and understanding of all menu items, carriage lounge, and banquet menus as trained.
- Demonstrate basic knife handling skills and familiarity with basic kitchen equipment and machines.
- Offer consistently professional, friendly and proactive guest service while supporting fellow colleagues.
- Listen well, communicate effectively and establish effective working relationships with other staff, management, vendors and guests that have a variety of educational backgrounds and values.
- Follow kitchen policies, procedures and service standards
- Assist all service staff and company workers in a professional manner insuring our guest service is in accordance with company standards.
- Attend shift briefings and actively participate daily.
- Communicate assistance needed during busy periods
- Maintain confidentiality of proprietary information; protect company assets.
- Adhere to Mohonk Mountain House’s Dress and Grooming Standards; presenting a neat, clean and well-groomed appearance and maintaining a positive, professional image to our customers.
- Learn and successfully demonstrate the Mohonk Mountain House Service Steps with Service Strategies with guests and staff.
- Maintain a flexible work schedule including days/nights, weekdays/weekends, holidays, and during peak periods of business.
- At least 18 years old.
- 3 years culinary experience in similar operation.
- Certification in food service sanitation practices and prevention of food borne illnesses preferred.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.