Your search resulted in 2 "Agriculture" jobs in Hudson Valley, NY. Save Job SearchSave SearchSave Job Search: Agriculture
Animal Care team members at Catskill Animal Sanctuary provide all the fundamental care required to ensure the physical and emotional health of our animals. As a senior-level animal caregiver, your responsibilities will include providing medications under the supervision of a Healthcare Manager, training of junior-level staff, special projects and independent execution of daily tasks. Senior Animal Caregivers may also develop deep concentrations in farm animal species and lead in the enrichment and care of those animals. This position is fast-paced and physically demanding. Successful candidates will be accustomed to and thrive in such a work environment.
The responsibilities for this position may include, but are not limited to:
- Ensure the exceptional care, both physical and psychological, of each resident
- Clean stalls, barns, enclosures and bird coops
- Complete feed runs and monitor water levels
- Administer medications and treatments
- Participate in animal enrichment activities
- Work in conjunction with health and animal care management to provide feedback regarding end-of-life care and euthanasia
- Perform healthcare checks
- Monitor animals’ health
- Onboard and guide of junior-level staff
- Participate in veterinarian visits on and offsite
- Accurate and up-to-date data entry and record keeping of animal moves, concerns and enrichment
- Participating in staff and management meetings as needed
- Identify maintenance issues as they arise
- A passion for the CAS mission of rescue and care of farm animals
- The desire to be part of a team dedicated to building best practices across the entire organization
- Farmed animal experience (e.g. goats, cows, chickens, sheep, horses, etc.)
- Strong organizational skills with a proven ability to manage multiple priorities and projects in fast-paced work environment
- Excellent time management and communication skills
- Ability to work well with a variety of staff and external partners in accordance with our Code of Conduct
- Some prior experience dealing with animal emergency situations preferred
- Ability to perform necessary duties in enclosed & open environments in all weather conditions through the year
- Valid driver’s license with clean driving record required
- Ability to lift 50 – 75 lbs. repeatedly
- Willingness to work weekends, evenings and holidays
Please have a thorough understanding of Catskill Animal Sanctuary’s mission. See our website www.casanctuary.org
This is a full-time position located primarily at either our location on Old Stage Road or Route 32. Starting salary is begins at 18/hour. Less experience candidates may be offered an animal caregiver role (not senior) with the opportunity to advance. Will have a 90-day probationary period. Benefits include paid vacations and healthcare coverage.
Candidates should be available to be added to the schedule and commute to work within four weeks of offer. Candidates will also be asked to join a paid working interview of up to two days onsite within 2 weeks of phone interview.
We are an equal opportunity employer who celebrates diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
- Full Time
- 18 Hour
- 316 Old Stage Road, Saugerties, NY 12477
BASIC FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Responsible for the safe and efficient operation and maintenance of the composting operation at Mohonk Mountain House. Provides support as directed with the operation and maintenance of the boiler plant, water treatment plant, wastewater treatment plant facilities and associated equipment.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Drive automatic and standard transmission vehicles in a safe, legal manner.
- Operate a skid steer loader, wheel loader, and plow trucks in a safe manner.
- Load, transport and empty barrels of food waste with small dump truck.
- Load, transport and empty landscape debris and manure with small dump truck.
- Mix compost materials with front end loader.
- Move and turn compost piles using front end loader.
- Measure and record temperature in compost piles using probe thermometer.
- Screen finished compost using motorized screen and loader.
- Load and move finished material using loader and truck.
- Maintain records of truck use, material moved and finished compost produced.
- Collect, retain, and report accurate records as required.
- Check condition of equipment; performs operations and safety check prior to using equipment; maintain tools and equipment used in the repair and maintenance of assigned equipment; report the need for repairs.
- Fuel and grease vehicles/equipment; inspect and perform safety checks on vehicles/equipment; clean vehicles/equipment; perform minor routine maintenance/service; report the need for repairs.
- Assist the Waste Water Operator by:
- Take samples, recording meter readings, and maintaining records as needed.
- Maintain sand filter beds including pulling weeds, raking, moving plastic pipes, and minor shovel work.
- Clean bar screen, grit channel, and drying beds.
- Maintain sewer lines and manholes including patching, painting, and trimming brush
- Assist when assigned with seasonal work such as cutting firewood, clearing snow, moving hay.
- Perform minor building maintenance such as scraping, painting, sweeping, mopping and cleaning.
- Perform grounds maintenance such as lawn mowing, brush trimming, road patching, ditch cleaning, snow-plowing, and shoveling.
- Use various hand tools such as rakes, shovels, pitchforks, brooms, mops, wheelbarrows, and other tools associated with the trade in a safe manner.
- Use various power tools such as string-line trimmers, lawnmowers, power washers, chippers, and other tools associated with the trade in a safe manner.
- Work in tight, enclosed, confined spaces and in accordance with OSHA standards.
- Work in close quarters, during inclement weather, and extreme heat and cold.
- Work in a manner that will not endanger oneself or others.
- Learn and utilizes new methods, materials and procedures and systems.
- Collect, retain, and report accurate records as required.
- Maintain a safe, neat work area including cleanup of trash and debris, cleaning floors, and washing equipment.
- Work at heights up to 80 feet.
- Diagnose, troubleshoot and repair existing systems and equipment.
- Identify and perform preventive maintenance as necessary to maximize the useful life of equipment.
- Educate co-workers on system's operation to assist in maintaining a smoothly operating plant.
- Maintain a pleasant personality under trying conditions and circumstances to our customers and co-workers.
- Attend and participate in staff operation and safety meetings.
- Perform basic mathematical functions such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.
- Inspect work by touch, sight, sound and smell for conformance to prescribed standards.
- Speak, read and write the English language and communicate in a clear and congenial manner, with our guests, visitors and employees. Hear verbal instructions, directions and warnings.
- Read and comprehend technical manuals, diagrams, and blueprints.
- Clearly communicate results of efforts, problem resolution steps and completed tasks verbally and in writing.
- Reach with hands and arms, bend, kneel, stoop, twist and flex arms, balance, walk up and down stairs/inclines, sit, climb up/down ladders or stand for up to 3-4 hours at a time.
- Lift up to 75 pounds from ground level to waist and carries a distance of up to 30 feet with/ without assistance. Walk up to 5 miles per day.
- Maneuver carts or dollies safely with loads up to 350 pounds up and down stairs, elevators, through passageways or outdoors up to 30 feet.
- See close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Act calmly and effectively in emergency situations.
- Analyze problems and develop and implement action plans to address problems.
- Adhere to Mohonk Mountain House’s Dress and Grooming Standards; presenting a neat, clean and well-groomed appearance and maintaining a positive, professional image to our customers.
- Learn and successfully demonstrate the Mohonk Mountain House Service Steps with Service Strategies with guests and staff.
- Learn and retain knowledge of historical facts and information about Mohonk Mountain House.
- Maintain a flexible work schedule including days/nights, overnights, weekdays/weekends, holidays, and during peak periods of business.
- Available “on call” for all systems shut down.
- Work on short notice to effect emergency repairs 24 hours a day, 365 days per year.
- Valid Driver’s License and at least 21 years of age, or 20 years of age with at least two years of licensed driving experience.
- A minimum of two (2) years’ experience in a related field.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
- Full Time
- Attn: Personnel, New Paltz, NY 12561