Your search resulted in 4 "Agriculture" jobs in Hudson Valley, NY. Save Job SearchSave SearchSave Job Search: Agriculture
Full Time Greenhouse Associate: We’re looking for a new team member with a 'green thumb' who is seeking employment in a place where we value, care for and develop our staff! Job responsibilities as a Greenhouse Associate includes watering plants, stocking and rotating and helping customers. We are looking for someone with a positive attitude, who can multitask and work in a fast paced environment. Must be able to work a flexible schedule including evenings and one weekend day.
Adams Fairacre Farms was voted the 2019 'Best Large Employer to Work for in the Hudson Valley' and one of the best of its kind in retail sales. We have over 1,000 friendly, caring employees between our four stores. We are a family owned business with family values. We believe that each employee contributes directly to Adams' growth and success. We have built an excellent staff that is committed and professional - a staff that has continued to expand their skills and grow with us. We have been doing some pretty exciting things, and we think after you have had a chance to become comfortable in your position you will discover how rewarding it is to work here. Our employees directly contribute to us fulfilling our mission of “Giving You Farmstand Quality, Every Day!”.
Here are just some of the benefits offered:
Health Insurance (full-time employees)
Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
401(k) with employer match
20% employee discount
Paid sick (full-time employees)
Life insurance (full-time employees)
Short term disability
Voluntary benefits, including supplemental life, short-term disability, cancer coverage, accident coverage
- Full Time
- 765 Dutchess Turnpike, Poughkeepsie, NY 12603
The Hudson Valley Farm Hub (HVFH) is a non-profit center for resilient agriculture located in Ulster County, New York. Founded in 2013, HVFH is dedicated to fostering an equitable and ecologically resilient food system in the Hudson Valley. We provide professional farmer training, host and conduct research, cultivate language justice, and support food access efforts in the region through food donations and innovative mission-aligned programming. We grow grains, cover crops, and vegetables with production taking place year-round across 1500 acres of farmland and a suite of greenhouses. A diverse, multi-lingual staff of 55 full-time employees serve in varied roles in areas of administration, farm operations, and programs.
We are seeking an enthusiastic, collaborative, and skilled farmer to join our team as Vegetable Production Manager. The ideal candidate will: have at least five years of experience producing organic vegetables at a mechanized scale; have the ability to develop smooth and efficient work flows; value, recognize, and uplift the existing leadership of team members; and be committed to and excited about our values of equity, inclusion, ecological resilience. Because of the multi-lingual nature of our team, we have a strong preference that a bilingual (Spanish-English) individual join our team as the Vegetable Production Manager.
The Vegetable ProductionManager oversees the day-to-day production activities of the Farm Hub’s 30-acre certified organic vegetable operation, including 24,000 square feet of greenhouse space under 4-season production. She/he/they supervise, support, and collaborate with the nine-member Vegetable Team to create and execute the vegetable crop plan and all associated activities, including planting, cultivation, harvest, and post-harvest handling. This includes delegation of and participation in all field based production activities, developing and leading safety and skills trainings, maintaining detailed USDA organic and GAPS certification records, and participating in long term planning activities pertaining to our whole farm crop rotation and organizational goals around food access. In coordination with other members of the Farm Hub management team, the Vegetable ProductionManager: promotes and assists in implementing an exemplary learning, working, and living environment; implements clear and transparent operational policies and procedures; and promotes a compassionate and safe work environment for all staff, trainees, educators, and guests. This postion reports to the Farm Manager.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversee production of vegetable crops in accordance with organic practices and ecological stewardship goals (both field and greenhouse production)
- Order seeds and amendments in a timely manner in conjunction with crop plan
- Operate tractors and equipment safely and effectively
- Collaborate with Field Crops team and Applied Farmscape Ecology team on research, production, and whole-farm planning activities
- Contribute to upkeep and maintenance of farm facilities and equipment
- Lead on-site training of vegetable production team members and other employees as relevant
- Ensure quality and food safety for packaging crops, in coordination with the Post-Harvest Coordinator and Farm Safety Manager
- Collaborate with the Field Crops Coordinator to collect production records
- Participate in farm tours, twilight meetings, and field days as requested
- Keep up to date with new advances in applied farming technologies
- Oversee routine maintenance and repair of equipment, in collaboration with the Farm Hub’s shop mechanics
- Promote and maintain good relationships with donation partners, customers, neighbors, and collaborators
- Participate and contribute to long-term planning converstaions related to vegetable production, farm operations, and programs
- Maintain detailed production, GAPs, and organic certification records
- Perform other duties as assigned
Leadership and Management
- Demonstrate strong commitment to the objectives, mission, and values of the Farm Hub; participate in conversations to deepen this commitment and support staff to deepen their understanding of our work
- Supervise Vegetable Production Team members
- Work collaboratively as a member of the Farm Hub team to train and support staff
- Serve as public spokesperson as requested
- Minimum of 5 years experience in successful production of organic vegetable crops, including greenhouse and propagation experience
- Demonstrated success in the effective management and supervision of staff and volunteers
- Experience with upkeep and maintenance of facilities and farm equipment
- Mechanical and technical ability to troubleshoot issues with equipment, irrigation, and infrastructure with the help of the Farm Manager and mechanics
- Experience in the maintenance of crop production, GAP, pesticide applications, organic certification, soil health, and other production related documentation
- Strong communication, listening, and interpersonal skills
- Willingness to have a flexible schedule with weekend hours required during the growing season
- Commitment to and willingness to deepen understanding of the Farm Hub’s mission and values of equity and ecological resilience
- Demonstrated ability to participate in and foster a work environment of mutual respect and collaboration; ability to develop positive working relationships and problem solve with people of different backgrounds
- Strong written and verbal skills in English
- Clean driving record and access to reliable transportation
- Written and verbal proficiency in Spanish strongly preferred
- NYS Pesticide Applicator license
- GIS/ARC mapping ability
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, including Word, Excel, and Outlook
- Knowledge of the Northeast farming community, especially Hudson Valley
The Vegetable Production Manager is a full-time, salaried, exempt position. We offer a competitive salary and benefits package. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, the Hudson Valley Farm Hub is committed to creating an inclusive workplace that respects and values diversity of cultural, ethnic, and experiential backgrounds. We welcome applicants of all races, ethnicities, national origins, genders, sexual orientations, and differently-abled people.
Please email a resume and a letter of interest explaining your fit for the position to Victoria Baker at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Full Time
- 1875 Hurley Mountain Rd, Hurley, NY 12443
BASIC FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Responsible for the safe and efficient operation and maintenance of the composting operation at Mohonk Mountain House. Provides support as directed with the operation and maintenance of the boiler plant, water treatment plant, wastewater treatment plant facilities and associated equipment.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Drive automatic and standard transmission vehicles in a safe, legal manner.
- Operate a skid steer loader, wheel loader, and plow trucks in a safe manner.
- Load, transport and empty barrels of food waste with small dump truck.
- Load, transport and empty landscape debris and manure with small dump truck.
- Mix compost materials with front end loader.
- Move and turn compost piles using front end loader.
- Measure and record temperature in compost piles using probe thermometer.
- Screen finished compost using motorized screen and loader.
- Load and move finished material using loader and truck.
- Maintain records of truck use, material moved and finished compost produced.
- Collect, retain, and report accurate records as required.
- Check condition of equipment; performs operations and safety check prior to using equipment; maintain tools and equipment used in the repair and maintenance of assigned equipment; report the need for repairs.
- Fuel and grease vehicles/equipment; inspect and perform safety checks on vehicles/equipment; clean vehicles/equipment; perform minor routine maintenance/service; report the need for repairs.
- Assist the Waste Water Operator by:
- Take samples, recording meter readings, and maintaining records as needed.
- Maintain sand filter beds including pulling weeds, raking, moving plastic pipes, and minor shovel work.
- Clean bar screen, grit channel, and drying beds.
- Maintain sewer lines and manholes including patching, painting, and trimming brush
- Assist when assigned with seasonal work such as cutting firewood, clearing snow, moving hay.
- Perform minor building maintenance such as scraping, painting, sweeping, mopping and cleaning.
- Perform grounds maintenance such as lawn mowing, brush trimming, road patching, ditch cleaning, snow-plowing, and shoveling.
- Use various hand tools such as rakes, shovels, pitchforks, brooms, mops, wheelbarrows, and other tools associated with the trade in a safe manner.
- Use various power tools such as string-line trimmers, lawnmowers, power washers, chippers, and other tools associated with the trade in a safe manner.
- Work in tight, enclosed, confined spaces and in accordance with OSHA standards.
- Work in close quarters, during inclement weather, and extreme heat and cold.
- Work in a manner that will not endanger oneself or others.
- Learn and utilizes new methods, materials and procedures and systems.
- Collect, retain, and report accurate records as required.
- Maintain a safe, neat work area including cleanup of trash and debris, cleaning floors, and washing equipment.
- Work at heights up to 80 feet.
- Diagnose, troubleshoot and repair existing systems and equipment.
- Identify and perform preventive maintenance as necessary to maximize the useful life of equipment.
- Educate co-workers on system's operation to assist in maintaining a smoothly operating plant.
- Maintain a pleasant personality under trying conditions and circumstances to our customers and co-workers.
- Attend and participate in staff operation and safety meetings.
- Perform basic mathematical functions such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.
- Inspect work by touch, sight, sound and smell for conformance to prescribed standards.
- Speak, read and write the English language and communicate in a clear and congenial manner, with our guests, visitors and employees. Hear verbal instructions, directions and warnings.
- Read and comprehend technical manuals, diagrams, and blueprints.
- Clearly communicate results of efforts, problem resolution steps and completed tasks verbally and in writing.
- Reach with hands and arms, bend, kneel, stoop, twist and flex arms, balance, walk up and down stairs/inclines, sit, climb up/down ladders or stand for up to 3-4 hours at a time.
- Lift up to 75 pounds from ground level to waist and carries a distance of up to 30 feet with/ without assistance. Walk up to 5 miles per day.
- Maneuver carts or dollies safely with loads up to 350 pounds up and down stairs, elevators, through passageways or outdoors up to 30 feet.
- See close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Act calmly and effectively in emergency situations.
- Analyze problems and develop and implement action plans to address problems.
- Adhere to Mohonk Mountain House’s Dress and Grooming Standards; presenting a neat, clean and well-groomed appearance and maintaining a positive, professional image to our customers.
- Learn and successfully demonstrate the Mohonk Mountain House Service Steps with Service Strategies with guests and staff.
- Learn and retain knowledge of historical facts and information about Mohonk Mountain House.
- Maintain a flexible work schedule including days/nights, overnights, weekdays/weekends, holidays, and during peak periods of business.
- Available “on call” for all systems shut down.
- Work on short notice to effect emergency repairs 24 hours a day, 365 days per year.
- Valid Driver’s License and at least 21 years of age, or 20 years of age with at least two years of licensed driving experience.
- A minimum of two (2) years’ experience in a related field.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
- Full Time
- Attn: Personnel, New Paltz, NY 12561
At Safe Haven Farm Sanctuary, our mission is to rescue abused and neglected farm(ed) animals, restore them to health, and provide them with a safe and loving forever home. As part of the SHFS team, you will provide all necessary care to our diverse family of more than 160 farm friends including pigs, horses, donkeys, cows, turkeys, chickens and more. The position of animal caretaker is important for maintaining our animals physical and emotional health and making sure they get the best quality of life imaginable.
Daily tasks include:
- Cleaning stalls, barns, and pastures
- Assisting in simple medical procedures
- Checking inventory
- Feeding and medication administration
- Monitoring animal health
- Providing enrichment to our farm friends
- Must be able to lift a minimum of 50 lbs.
- Must be able to work in all weather conditions
- Must be available to work weekends and some holidays
- Must live within 30 minutes of Poughquag, NY
- Must be able to get here in all weather conditions
We are hiring both part-time and full-time employees, current shifts are mainly 8:30am-4:30pm but may vary depending on need and season. Having a vegan or vegetarian lifestyle is a plus! Please review our website to have a thorough understanding of our mission and to better understand the importance of our animal caretaker position.
This position starts at $14 an hour. Please include a cover letter detailing why you are a strong candidate for this position. Select individuals will be asked to submit two recent references and partake in a working interview.
Job Types: Full-time, Part-time
Pay: From $14.00 per hour
All staff must be vaccinaated or submit to weekly C
OViD testing and wear face masks when in the feed room or when working with others where a 6 foot distance cannot be maintained.
- Full Time, Part Time
- 14.00 Hour
- 254 Gardner Hollow Road, Poughquag, NY 12570