- Full Time
- 16.00 Hour
- 526 Gaffney Road, Fairbanks, AK 99701
Do you have experience as a Grocery Manager?
Grocery Team Lead
Co-op Market Grocery and Deli, located in downtown Fairbanks, is the friendliest store in town and helps support a sustainable, local food system.
Alaska's only retail, natural and organic food cooperative, celebrates the joy of eating healthy, responsibly and locally. Co-op Market Grocery and Deli offers high quality, fair-priced goods, and services while working toward a sustainable local economy and promoting the cooperative principles.
To apply visit www.coopmarket.org, go to the tab called ABOUT, scroll down to careers.
Ask for HR Monday-Thursday 9am-noon for a preliminary interview.
benefits include 15% off groceries, 40 hours PTO annually, reimburse of medical insurance premium, paid training and more!!
Grocery Team Leader
Reports to: General Manager
The Grocery Team Leader is responsible for maintaining a comprehensive grocery selection that is well organized, dependably stocked and meets the needs of the customer. The Grocery Team Lead will ensure all assistants receive proper training and supervision and will ensure correct ordering, receiving, unloading, storage and rotation of merchandise and building of displays. This position is responsible and accountable for the successful operations of the grocery department that includes meeting sales, margin goals and labor budgets.
The grocery team leader will focus on four key areas; supervision and training, customer service, merchandising, and orders (center store and special orders).
- Exhibits exceptional service for customers and staff.
- Is available for customer service when working on the retail floor.
- Models excellent customer service for staff and provides excellent internal service to staff and peers using 10/4 rule and Zingerman’s recipes for giving great service.
- Learns product locations to find items for customers throughout the store.
- Understands and can explain co-op Ownership and the cooperative difference.
- Encourages and answers all customer suggestions, requests and complaints.
Supervision and Training
- Supervise work performance and conduct of Grocery Department personnel, ensuring compliance with established policies and procedures
- Establish procedures to ensure proper administration of the department’s programs
- Model supportive and participatory leadership qualities, promote team building and motivate staff to achieve goals
- Ensure department personnel receive appropriate orientation, training and feedback to perform their jobs
- Write and input monthly schedules per labor budget, store and contract guidelines
- Maintain an in-depth understanding of financial statements and labor budget as related to operations of the department
- Hire qualified applicants, conduct performance evaluations, and take disciplinary action as needed, following established policy
- Manage staff issues, department team leaders, customer complaints, community relations, compliance with store policies, and other administrative duties
- Perform other tasks as assigned by the General Manager
- Work with Lead Receiver to set stocking priorities for staff to ensure shelves and coolers are fully stocked and rotated
- Build and maintain end-caps and other in-store displays
- Offer tastes, samples and suggestions for purchase to members
Order Responsibility (Center Store and Special Orders)
- Work with Retail Support Manager to purchase items consistent with the ends and objectives of the Co-op
- Keep abreast of new product offerings and changing member needs; adjust product selection accordingly
- Communicate with special order customers to ensure that they are aware of prices and availability before placing all orders
- Place all special orders including business special orders and individual special orders by the deadline
- Communicate with business owners to inform them of out of availability
- Enter special orders in the POS system
- Receive special orders, mark them with form or business name and contact customer to pick up order
- Coordinate with staff to package and ship Bush Orders
- Maintain effective working relations with suppliers
- Ensure that grocery department shelves, displays, aisles, and storage areas are in clean orderly condition, meeting health department and ADA standards
- Work with General Manager to schedule delivery of small vendor goods and oversee proper in-store receiving guidelines by grocery staff
- Monitor the quality of fresh foods and ensure that refunds are received for all items that do not meet required quality
- Ensure all signs and shelf tags are accurate
- Ensure accurate up to date prices of grocery products in the POS system and shelf tags
- Dedication to ensuring the customer has the best possible experience
- Regular predictable attendance
- Ability to handle multiple demands
- Knowledge of current trends in the food industry
- Strong communication skills –listens well, gives clear instructions
- Capable of maintaining an inventory that best suits customer needs and anticipates seasonal sales
- Familiarity with POS systems
- Ability to use a variety of computer software programs including Excel, point of sale systems, ordering systems, Dropbox and email systems
- Understanding of grocery industry key financial indicators
- Capable of working independently and motivating self and others
- Able to lift 50+ pounds
- Able to stand for long periods
- Capable of learning math skills required to understand financial statements and calculate margins
- Willingness ad ability to learn and grow to meet the changing requirements of the job
- Minimum of five years of grocery management experience