- Full Time
- 526 Gaffney Road, Fairbanks, AK 99701
Co-op Market Grocery & Deli- Freshfoods Buyer
Please apply by coming to the store to fill out an application or visit www.coopmarket.org for more information
A preliminary interview can be done mon-fri 9am -2pm, please have application turned in first for review
Reports to: General Manager
The Freshfoods Buyer ensures an organized and smoothly run a fresh foods department including ordering, pricing and inventory control. The freshfoods buyer motivates self and coworkers to guarantee the highest level of customer service and to meet department objectives for sales, margin and labor goals.
Note: The Fresh Foods department includes the meat/seafood, frozen goods, baked goods and cheese.
- Exhibits exceptional service for customers and staff and ensures that all department staff is customer focused
- Knows store layout and is aware of products in other departments
- Remain abreast of changing owner/customer needs, new products, effective selling techniques
- Ensure adequate supply and selection of products keeping out of stocks to a minimum
- Ensure accurate up-to-date price labeling of deli, meat & seafood and bakery products
- Work with General Manager to establish a pricing structure that will ensure that department margin goals are met
- Ensure accurate up-to-date records of cost of preparing deli items
- Ensure that Meat & Seafood buyer is fulfilling all duties (see job description)
- Regularly review financial reports and take corrective action as needed
- Maintain records pertaining to shrink (e.g. markdowns, spoils, spills, etc.)
- Coordinate product selection, cross merchandising of products with other departments and menu planning
- Ensure that the deli has attractive informative signage
Read trade journals to increase knowledge of industry trends
- Conduct periodic price comparisons with other stores
Management and Department Operations
- Research and develop employee safety measures for food handling and preparation, implementing the most functional and efficient ergonomics
- Develop systems and ensure their implementation to maintain accurate, updated records of product cost, production, and losses
- Ensure that department display units, coolers, work areas, storage areas, and sales floor are in clean and orderly condition
- Ensure deli equipment is maintained and properly serviced. Advise General Manager of equipment repair/replacement needs
- Develop and revise the department’s standard operating procedures (SOP) as needed. Ensure staff is aware of and trained in department SOP’s
- Ensures that department operates following health department requirements in food storage and handling. Follows Department of Agriculture standards for sanitation.
- Conduct monthly department inventory.
- Participate in Co-op quarterly inventory.
- Perform all other duties as assigned by a General Manager.
Dedication to ensuring the customer has the best possible experience
Experience supervising and managing staff in food service or retail setting
Ability to safely operate all kitchen and deli machinery, including, but not limited to: cheese/meat slicer, food slicer, food processor, industrial mixer, knives, ovens and stoves
Food Safety Certificate preferred, e.g. SERV Safe
Some knowledge of natural foods and special dietary needs
Possess above average math and budgeting skills
Basic computer skills (Microsoft Word, Excel)
Communication skills: good listener; gives clear instructions
Excellent sense of organization
Regular predictable attendance
Ability to handle multiple demands
Ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
Ability to stand for long periods
Willingness and ability to learn and grow to meet the changing requirements of the position