- Part Time
- 135 E 38th Street, Erie, PA 16504
Make a positive difference in the lives of others
VIA, Visually Impaired Advancement formerly known as Olmsted Center for Sight (OCS) is seeking a Switchboard Operator to work between 16 and 40 hours per week. This position is primarily responsible for answering external and internal calls at the Erie Pennsylvania VA hospital. Under the direction of the VA Supervisor, the Switchboard Operator is expected to provide efficient, courteous and outstanding customer service to the callers of the Erie VA hospital.
Shift times may include daytime, evening, weekend and overnights. Ability to work holidays as scheduled. Applicants will be expected to maintain flexibility in scheduling to the extent practical to meet the needs of a 24 hour help center.
- Direct callers to desired area.
- Execute hospital emergency codes.
- Contact on-call physicians, medical and surgical teams, and key hospital staff.
- Provide communication support to hospital staff.
- Provide patient information as requested.
- Demonstrate basic keyboarding and computer skills.
- Proficient in use of assistive technology.
- Demonstrate excellent internal and external customer service.
- Maintain confidentiality and professionalism in a fast paced environment.
- Comfortable communicating with individuals in crisis or experiencing high levels of stress.
- Effectively work with individuals of diverse backgrounds.
- Effectively communicate with colleagues, customers, vendors and/or outside agencies.
- Prioritize demands and respond accordingly.
- Demonstrate detail orientation in completion of duties.
- Apply agency standards in performance of position duties.
- Demonstrate ability to problem solved when faced with ambiguity.
- Ability to work independently.
- Minimum of 6 months in switchboard operation in a hospital setting or related experience required.
- High School diploma or equivalent preferred.
- Ability to provide documentation of legal blindness preferred.
TO APPLY please click on the link below:
Join our vibrant team, enjoy your job, and make a positive difference in the lives of others. VIA is a multi-faceted agency helping children and adults who are blind/visually impaired live a full, productive, and independent life. Services include low vision optometry, vision rehabilitation, adolescent recreation, career development and employment. VIA services are in large part supported by revenues generated from its robust business operations offering competitive employment opportunities in manufacturing, warehousing and fulfillment, and telecommunication services. Make the decision to start enjoying your job while also making a positive difference in the lives of others!
VIA is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, minorities, veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Any person with a disability needing special accommodations to the application process please call Human Resources.