- Full Time
- 951 SW Simpson Ave, Ste 100, Bend, OR 97702
Great job opportunity in Bend Oregon!
Public Service Representative 3
The Oregon Department of Revenue is recruiting for a motivated individual who would like to work in a friendly, supportive and collaborative environment, to join their outstanding team in beautiful Bend, Oregon. If you have excellent customer service skills and a desire to serve the public, we want to talk with you. The Oregon Department of Revenue in recruiting for a Public Service Representative 3 to join the Bend office. Excellent candidates are those who are engaging, hardworking, and would like to have a positive influence on taxpayers.
This is a full-time, SEIU represented position. This recruitment may be used to fill additional vacancies as they occur over the next 6 months.
What you will do:
Provide fair, professional, prompt and courteous information and assistance to the public regarding the 30+ tax programs administered by the Department of Revenue to achieve goals of compliance, equity, and public service. Services are provided to both internal and external customers and the position works to maintain the level of knowledge through training and work experience to provide information, education and assistance to all customers. In addition, this job processes payments received from the general public and provides general office and clerical support for staff in the Bend field office.
- Independently assists the public over the phone, through correspondence, email and in person with 30+ tax programs administered by the Department. This includes information on inquiries regarding how and when to file, how to fill out all forms including amended returns, etc.
- Independently answers questions from taxpayers, licensed tax preparers, attorneys, accountants, and other professionals. Explains department billings, deficiencies, and assessments in a clear and understandable manner.
- Independently answers questions and advises public on rules, laws, policies and procedures for department administered tax programs in order to secure compliance or resolve problems including changes made in processing, billings, or tax laws. Works independently seeking assistance only on non-routine cases.
- Prepares comments and documents account records in an accurate manner.
- Independently provides on-line support to taxpayers and authorized representatives via our website and the Revenue Online application. Analyzes and troubleshoots log-in issues, password resets, and website navigation issues
- Independently answers questions relating to withholding, including ordering of forms, updating addresses, phone numbers and other personal data on our systems. Explains revenue/employment combined form for reporting; property tax programs; form and publication orders; gift and inheritance tax; sales tax; corporation tax; and other technical questions
- Researches tax records and interprets data relating to the individual taxpayers unique circumstances. Arranges error corrections if necessary or explains further action to be taken by the taxpayer. Makes mathematical calculations to assist taxpayers and to explain actions taken on their accounts.
- Receives and processes payments on billings, estimated taxes, income taxes, withholding taxes, as well as other payments due the department. Sets up temporary payment plans according to procedures. Recommends the appropriate Department publications to taxpayers.
- Participates in activities which help educate and assist taxpayers in the Bend district.
Field Payment Processing
Receives a variety of payments from taxpayers and the general public on current and delinquent tax accounts administered by the department. Processes receipts and payment coupons; prepares and issues field receipts and payment coupons; reconciles payment transactions and prepares internal control documents for daily transmittal to Salem.
Apply payments for current year, prior year, estimated and amended taxes. Tax programs/documents include: Personal garnishments, withholding and other miscellaneous tax programs. Give proper credit to correct taxpayer account by:
- Reviewing for proper application by using computer terminal to further identify the correct amount, correct period or quarter of payment.
- Completing payment coupons to indicate correct information and program applications.
- Determining disbursement of payments to multiple accounts and multiple liabilities existing for individual taxpayers or businesses.
Acts as office support person. Sorts, processes, and distributes incoming/outgoing mail. Maintains form and stationery supplies inventory for the office and orders as needed. Acts as the designated custodian of petty cash, office postage accounts/monthly reports, copier, fax, and printers. Provides assistance to staff by accessing various computer programs. Assists office staff with special projects. Requests maintenance and repair of office equipment. Follows closing procedures including securing payments, badges, other sensitive items, and lobby doors at end of day.
Orders section supplies and forms, maintains records and statistical information.
Describe special working conditions, if any that are a regular part of this job. Include frequency of exposure to these conditions.
- Continuous exposure to noise from phones, computer, printers, voices, and walk-in traffic. Handles high volume of telephone calls and public contact.
- Occasional contact with upset, irate, or confused taxpayers.
- Frequent interruptions from phone, walk-ins, and co-workers.
- Frequent use of computer, calculator, which requires sitting and using keyboards and keypads for extended periods of time.
- Periodic short walking trips to pick up and deliver mail.
- Requires stooping, bending, pulling, pushing, lifting of office supplies typically weighing up to 15 pounds and occasionally up to 50 pounds.satisfaction with our service.
It is the office and the agency’s policy is to provide accurate, professional, prompt, courteous and consistent information to all taxpayers. In order to ensure that the Bend office is in compliance with the policy, from time to time calls and computer screen activity will be monitored or captured to ensure consistency of answers, for training, to help understand the nature of the volume of calls and survey our customers as to their
Two years of experience in customer service. One year of which must have included explanation of rules, regulations, and policies and responsibility for dealing with unique or unusual situations.
Desired Skills and Abilities
The candidates whose experience most closely matches the qualification and desired attributes of this position will be invited to interview. We are looking for qualified applicants whose work experience most closely demonstrates the following:
- Excellent communication skills, verbal and written
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Flexibility/Adaptability to different situations
- Ability to "think outside the box" and develop creative communication solutions
- Maintains a professional attitude and demeanor at all times
- Team Player
- Organizational skills and capable of prioritizing work
- Attention to detail
- Work ethic
Customer Service/Taxpayer Assistance Skills
- Willingness/desire to serve and help taxpayers in a variety of situations
- Ability to obtain information from customers to determine the nature of their question/inquiry
- Ability to answer routine questions about multiple services or programs
- Ability to explain rules, regulations, policies and procedures
- Ability to deal/handle difficult people
- Communication channels include face to face, over the phone and email
Office Clerical Support Skills
- Ability to compose/create documents
- Basic computer skills: Word, Excel, and Outlook
- Ability to learn our internal program – GenTax
- Provide office wide support in a variety of ways – scanning, copying, scheduling vehicle maintenance, petty cash custodian, etc.