Assistant Director, Graduate Admissions
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, in Troy, NY was founded in 1824, and is America's first technological research institute. For nearly 200 years, Rensselaer has been defining the scientific and technological advances of our world. Rensselaer serves over 7,600 undergraduate and graduate students from 49 states and 63 countries. Guided by the Rensselaer Plan 2024, Rensselaer seeks to transform the delivery of pedagogical innovations, and to be a transformative agent in the 21st century and beyond.
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute is Seeking: Assistant Director, Graduate Admissions
The Assistant Director identifies, invites, and enrolls graduate students into Rensselaer's educational community. In addition, the Assistant Director collaborates with other members of the Rensselaer Community to develop and implement assigned program(s) and/or area(s). The incumbent conducts on-site information sessions; represents Rensselaer at graduate fairs and conferences, visits targeted undergraduate institutions, and participates in the planning, coordination, and execution of on-campus events. As an experienced admissions professional, the Assistant Director will mentor less experienced team members and will readily offer suggestions to improve graduate admissions operations and recruiting based on his/her experience, awareness of the field of graduate admissions, and marketplace needs.
Works in normal office environments and public forums. Extensive travel on and off campus required, usually in office rental vehicles, transporting marketing and recruitment materials and related computer equipment. May include, however, travel for a distance that includes air and train travel. Work is fast paced, physically strenuous, and stressful. May require long and irregular hours including evenings, nights, and weekends; may also include extended travel with more than one week away at a time.
Minimum Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Excellent customer service skills
- Ability to work effectively under pressure and meet established goals and objectives
- Ability to work with diverse populations
- Strong computer skills and knowledge
- An advanced understanding of marketing concepts
- Ability to make a compelling public presentation
- Ability to develop a good rapport with Rensselaer faculty and staff
- Ability to develop a good rapport with prospective students and influencers
- Ability to deal effectively with a dynamic and fast-paced office
- Excellent decision-making skills and the ability to make informed decisions independently
- Ability to manage often conflicting priorities
- Mentoring skills
- Bachelor's Degree in related field
- Minimum of two years of relevant experience
- Direct and transferable experience in higher education, international recruiting or a STEM field is required
- Valid US driver's license
- Master's degree
- Experience in international student affairs/recruitment
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute cares about your health and well-being, and we are dedicated to providing a comprehensive and competitive benefits package to you and your family. Rensselaer's Total Compensation Program continues to be instrumental in ensuring stable employment and stable pay growth for our faculty and staff, and our benefits program accounts for a significant portion of the Total Compensation Program.