- Part Time
- 2550 Jewetta Ave, Bakersfield, CA 93312
Grace Baptist Church Love God, Love Others, and Reach the World
Seeking an outgoing person, who is skilled in secretarial and receptionist know-how.
We are a Southern Baptist Church and this will be very important in your ability to be successful in this position as you will be in a supervisory position over some of the volunteers of the church. You will be a good fit for this position if you are skilled at the Microsoft Office Suite and other publishing programs. We use a personalized software program for many aspects of this position so we are seeking someone who is skilled in learning new computer software. This position includes weekend hours, primarily on Sundays, however, there will be occasional events on Saturdays that you will need to attend.
A detailed list of responsibilities;
Grace Baptist Church
Position Title: Administrative Assistant
Reports To: Minister of Administration
Date Prepared/Revised: September 2019
The Church Clerk is responsible for the smooth running of all secretarial and receptionist procedures of the church. They will coordinate the use of church volunteers whenever possible. They are also responsible for assisting the Minister of Administration in performing ministerial and other duties as assigned.
Sunday: 9:00 am to noon
Monday 9:00 am to 4:00 pm
Tuesday 9:00 am to 4:00 pm
Wednesday 9:00 am to 4:00 pm
Thursday 9:00 am to 4:00 pm
List of Responsibilities
• Coordinate typing of correspondence and materials, including minutes, for all congregational meetings.
• Maintain a binder of all church-related minutes, including congregational meetings, Council of Elders, Finance Committee, and other ministries.
• Setup and maintain the master administrative filing system for the church.
• Be responsible for maintaining the church office petty cash.
• Prepare all outgoing mail and drop at the post office.
• Prepare all outgoing express envelopes and arrange for courier service pickup.
• Pick up all packages at the Post Office and purchase stamps as needed for internal office use.
• Coordinate all church-wide mail-outs.
• Prepare and deliver bulk mailings from the church.
• Maintain the church's computerized calendar of events and upcoming correspondence. Distribute calendars to appropriate leadership and church congregation on a monthly basis.
• Maintain a current use of facilities/equipment calendar and related requests for use forms.
• Organize type and assimilate the Sunday morning bulletin, checking with Minister of Administration to assure the published information is correct.
• Function as the editor to notifications written by Directors of Ministry, or others, which are distributed to the church members.
• Monitor and purchase office, cleaning, and hospitality supplies.
• Keep copier machine in good working order (i.e. paper trays refilled, adequate toner, etc.) and contact service if maintenance is needed.
• Maintain building and room key authorization lists.
• Unlock facilities upon arrival and lock up at the end of the day.
• Ensure that the receptionist area is in a neat and orderly condition.
• Answer telephone calls in a prompt, courteous and timely manner.
• Prepare an accurate message for all calls where the requested staff person is not available to receive the call. Place the message slip in the staff person’s mail tray.
• Greet all walk-ins in a friendly and professional manner. Determine the reason for the visit and assist them with their needs.
• Coordinate the collection and distribution of lost and found items.
• Sunday morning duties to include overseeing volunteers and serving as hostess to events.
• Serve as hostess for all New Members classes and other small events.
• Check fire extinguishers and make sure they are up to code.
• Cross-train with the Bookkeeper. Assist this individual by learning the basics of his/her duties. Such duties might need to be performed in the event of sickness or absence.
• Other duties assigned by the Minister of Administration or the Pastor.
• Perform duties and responsibilities in a manner to Glorify Christ and further the mission and ministry purposes of Grace Baptist (Colossians 3:23, 24)