Share with friends:
Committed to Excellence in Cardiology
Release of Information Specialist
JOB TITLE: Release of Information Specialist
DEPARTMENT: Support Services
GENERAL SUMMARY OF DUTIES: Under the direction of the Office Manager, the Release of Information Specialist must at all times safeguard and protect the patient’s rights to privacy by ensuring that only authorized individuals have access to the patient’s medical information and that all release of information are in compliance with the request, authorization, company policy and HIPAA statues. Additionally, they are required to maintain a professional health care office environment on a day-to-day basis, working with confidential and personal health information in a conscientious manner and providing patients and other requestors with the appropriate level of service. This position engages in direct customer service and must perform duties and conduct interpersonal relationships in a manner designed to project a positive image of the department and Alaska Heart and Vascular Institute. Work with team leader, supervisor, manager, and other members of the department to promote a harmonious work environment.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Reports to the Office Manager
SUPERVISION EXERCISED: None
TYPICAL PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Requires full range of body motion including handling and lifting patients, manual and finer dexterity and eye-hand coordination. Requires standing and walking for prolonged periods. Occasionally lifts and carries items weighing up to 50 pounds. The position requires corrected vision and hearing to normal ranges. The position requires working under stressful conditions or working irregular hours.
TYPICAL WORKING CONDITIONS: Some exposure to communicable diseases, toxic substances, ionizing radiation, medicinal preparations and other conditions common to a clinic or office environment.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
1. Interacts with requestors to identify medical records needed for patient care, review,
billing or release of information.
2. Prioritize release of information requests, retrieves medical records from active and
inactive and interdepartmental locations, electronically tracks and delivers records in
accordance with established procedures.
3. Performs self-quality checks on all work to assure accuracy of the release, confidentiality and proper invoicing.
4. Handles all requests and inquiries for patient health information whether received via
mail, fax, phone or in-person.
a. Verifies the patient identity and confirms that the authorization is valid
b. Ensures the requesting party has a legal right to request a patient’s medical
5. Provide excellent customer service by being attentive and respectful; insures
understanding of customer request and follows-through as promised; and being
proactive in identifying client concerns, or problems. Helps resolve customer service
matters in a polite manner.
6. Access computerized patient record and/or other computer systems for patient
information needed for faxing and for other requestors of the medical record.
7. Performs at established quantitative and qualitative work standards to meet
departmental goals and objectives.
8. Maintains current knowledge related to applicable statutes, regulations, guidelines and standards necessary to perform job duties in accordance with HIPAA regulations.
Minimum: High school diploma or the equivalent in education or work experience.
Preferred: More than two years’ experience in release of information.
Minimum: TWO years previous ROI experience.
INTERPERSONAL COMMUNICATION REQUIREMENTS:
Commitment to the Alaska Heart and Vascular Institute LLC standard for interaction with patients, visitors, physician offices, hospitals or agencies and coworkers is required. Employees of Alaska Heart Institute LLC will maintain a consistent standard of interaction with others as follows:
- Demonstrates a professional, helpful and friendly attitude, which is directed toward and focused on providing quality patient care and satisfaction in a cooperative manner.
- Maintains a professional and pleasant demeanor and appearance, which is reflective of a positive representation of the Alaska Heart Institute, LLC.