Share with friends:
Committed to Excellence in Cardiology
Certified Medical Assistant - Float
JOB TITLE: Certified Medical Assistant- Float
DEPARTMENT: Clinical Services
GENERAL SUMMARY OF DUTIES: A nonexempt position. Medical assistants function as members of the health care delivery team performing delegated clinical and administrative procedures within the supervising provider’s scope of practice consistent with the CMA’s education, training and experience. Such duties shall not constitute the practice of medicine.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Reports to Clinical Manager and Clinical Supervisor
SUPERVISION EXERCISED: None
TYPICAL PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Requires prolonged sitting, some bending, stooping and stretching. Requires eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity sufficient to operate a keyboard, photocopier, telephone, calculator and other office equipment. Requires normal range of hearing and eyesight to record, prepare and communicate appropriate reports. Occasional stress from varying demands. Must be able to work independently.
Must be able to lift/carry up to 50 pounds.
TYPICAL WORKING CONDITIONS: Work is performed in a busy office environment. Frequent contact with employees, patients, physicians and outside agencies. Occasional evening or weekend work.
- Prepares exam and treatment rooms with necessary instruments, ensures cleanliness
- Prepares patients for examination and treatment. Takes patient histories and vital signs. Assists with patient EKGs and treadmill tests
- Gives injections and performs blood draws/finger stick
- Assists with scheduling of tests and treatments.
- Screens telephone calls for referral to nurse or physician.
- Prepares and maintains supplies and equipment for treatments.
- Prepares patients for interogation of pacemaker
- Maintains drug closets, disposes of expired medications.
- Assists with maintenance of patient files, records and other information.
- Faxes reports to referring clinics and logs incoming and outgoing reports.
- Attends clinical staff meetings
- Participates in in-service meetings, professional development and committees as requested.
- Maintains patient confidentiality.
- Cross-trains to assist with Holter/Event monitors, Coumadin Clinic, call backs, filing and billing slips
- Other duties as assigned by supervision.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Knowledge of medical examination, diagnostic and treatment room procedures.
- Knowledge of medical equipment and instruments to administer patient care
- Knowledge of AHI policies and procedures including common safety hazards and precautions to establish a safe work environment.
- Knowledge of basic cardiac rhythm recognition and basic pharmacology
- Knowledge of computer systems, AHI programs and applications
- Skill in vital signs, EKGs, treadmills
- Skill in maintaining patient records and recording test results.
- Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with patients, medical staff and the public.
- Skill in patient education regarding a variety of cardiology issues and medications
- Ability to maintain quality control standards.
- Ability to react calmly and effectively in emergency situations.
- Ability to interpret, adapt and apply guidelines and procedures.
- Ability to communicate clearly.
- Demonstrate ability to multi-task; perform tasks within time frames assigned.
- Demonstrate schedule flexibility; adjust to shifting priorities; stay organized in a changing environment; stay focused during stressful or difficult situations; exhibit comfort with ambiguity.Education:Minimum: Graduate from an accredited program for Medical AssistantsExperience:Preferred: Cardiology experience preferredMinimum: One year of CMA experienceCertificate/License: CMA and CPR certificationsINTERPERSONAL COMMUNICATION REQUIREMENTS:Commitment to the Alaska Heart and Vascular Institute LLC standard for interaction with patients, visitors, physician offices, hospitals or agencies and coworkers is required. Employees of Alaska Heart Institute LLC will maintain a consistent standard of interaction with others as follows:
- Demonstrates a professional, helpful and friendly attitude, which is directed toward and focused on providing quality patient care and satisfaction in a cooperative manner.
- Maintains a professional and pleasant demeanor and appearance, which is reflective of a positive representation of the Alaska Heart Institute, LLC.